Search

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Day 12: Bulbs

This autumn, the hope that maybe, just maybe, I could one morning wake up to tulip blooms on the balcony won over the feeling that it's probably not possible to have the tulip bulbs survive winter in a pot on the balcony. So, ladies and gentlemen, I now have
three pots of tulip bulbs planted out on the balcony! As you can see in the picture below, I planted the bulbs way too close together (the package said the bulbs should be spaced 10cm from each other). I also read that you should put sand in the holes so that the roots can take easier. I wasn't sure where to get sand right away, so I just used regular planting soil. Please imagine with me how incredibly neat it would be if these tulips really grew and bloomed come spring! I chose two "fancier" varieties -
the more round and almost peony-like "Black Hero", that will be a deep purple/burgundy color, and then an orange-light green variety called "Apricot Parrot".

I then chose three (cheaper) bulbs at the supermarket form the big "mystery bins". The three I picked should be white (from the box with a white tulip on it), and two more large bulbs from a truly mystery mix box. I cannot wait to see what happens.

What I need to do now is find out about insulation - how to insulate the flower pots to give the bulbs a chance. If you know of anyone who's successfully raised tulips in containers, on a balcony, and maybe even blogs about it, please do let me know in the comments!

I am setting an additional challenge for myself - to not only insulate the flower pots well, but to also make them sightly, using what I already have and or can get very cheaply.

Planting the bulbs was a leap of faith, but it made me think of spring, and flowers, and that made me feel abundance.

Thank you very much for reading this 31 day series, 31 Days to More Abundance!

If you'd like to read some more about container gardening on a balcony, here is a post on the purpose of a garden and some shots of my winter garden (the last paragraph is in English), and here are my thoughts on growing tomatoes on the balcony.

Thank you for stopping by Pieliekamais!

2 comments: